Amazon FBA is an excellent platform for entrepreneurs to begin their business journey. Despite the convenience and safety of FBA, you’re still responsible for packing and shipping your commodities to Amazon’s fulfillment centers. Regarding that, you should have proper knowledge about Amazon FBA shipping requirements.
Otherwise, you’ll be charged an unanticipated FBA preparation service cost per product. To avoid any additional fees and handle FBA packaging and shipping regulations on your own, you need to be familiar with all the relevant shipping requirements.
This informative article will provide a thorough explanation of all the most recent Amazon FBA packaging and shipping requirements that you should be aware of. Let’s start packaging!
Why Does Correct Packaging for Amazon FBA Matter?
When you start doing business in Amazon, there are two things you need to overcome. Marketplace management and FBA packaging. Here, product packaging is essential for Amazon sellers since it shows their commitment to their customers. It’s not as simple as putting the products in a box, making Amazon Ads for more sales, and sending them out to be delivered.
Amazon has established specific packing requirements and packaging programs for their Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) businesses. This isn’t a difficult chore to complete. All that is required is that you are aware of the following:
- Poorly or insufficiently wrapped products may be damaged during transit.
- Products that are inadequately labeled may be lost or blended with your other Amazon products.
- Over-packaged products are undeniably wasteful and environmentally destructive, which should be avoided.
- Poor packing can have a detrimental impact on the reputation of your company or business.
Unlike other companies, Amazon takes its manufacturing and delivery regulations pretty seriously. If you refuse to comply with the rules, you will be subject to a fine. However, by following the guidelines, or if you agree to follow these regulations, then you will be able to escape this penalty entirely!
Amazon FBA Packaging Requirements
As an Amazon seller, if you want to make massive sales in your business, you need to know about the Amazon packaging requirements first. The good news is, with all of the standards for Amazon FBA packaging, it’s not difficult to get the overall information about the packaging requirements for Amazon.
However, if you only categorize them according to the sort of goods and the method of shipment, they offer plenty of sense and the packaging procedure will be easy for you.
Using proper packaging, you can assure that your order is delivered on time and in good condition to the end-user. Amazon offers a variety of packaging options dependent on the method by which your order will be fulfilled.
Sellers must ensure that all prerequisites for shipping orders into fulfillment centers are met before items can be shipped. Additional resources include a complete assistance service within Seller Central, which may give you guidance on packaging and preparation needs.
[Extra note: Amazon has the full right to refuse, return, or re-package any of the products you’re selling if you violate their packing policies.]
To make sure that your item/products are delivered without interruption and stored in a fulfillment center, you should meet the following requirements for safe and error-free packaging:
- Each box should be at least 6 inches wide, 4 inches long, and 1 inch thick (6″ x 4″ x 1″). They should also not weigh more than 1 pound.
- Always use a sturdy box with six faces and flaps.
- If you’re reusing a box, remove any prior labels or tapes.
- Only use the necessary packaging materials, and wrap with Amazon’s shipping required tapes.
- Even if a box or a pallet contains a large number of things, each one should be individually wrapped for shipping.
- Put a two-inch air cushion Inside the box on either side of such a product. Before shipping, give the package a quick shake to ensure proper wrapping.
- A box’s dimensions on any single side must not exceed 25 inches, and it shouldn’t weigh more than 50 pounds (in total).
- Packaging materials are limited to polyethylene foam sheets, bubble wrapping, and a full sheet of paper.
Types of FBA Packaging
When it comes to packaging your FBA goods, you may mostly rely on three types of materials: boxes, poly bags, and bubble wrapping bags.
The box is the most common packaging component for most things sold on Amazon FBA. Boxed products are more convenient to handle and store, reducing the likelihood of them becoming separated from, or misplaced during the lengthier fulfillment procedure.
If your goods are packaged in poly bags, you can still deliver them to the fulfillment center in such a box.
But there’s a twist on this box packaging! For FBA sellers, Amazon accepts the following four types of packaging for Amazon selling;
- Regular Slotted Carton (RSC)
This is a conventional carton constructed from corrugated sheets that have been pre-creased and pre-cut.
This sort of carton has two apertures, each with four flaps of comparable width. RSC can be used for virtually any aspect of product packaging, including shipment.
- 200BH (burst strength box)
The corrugated box which meets the Mullen burst strength test when subjected to an imposed pressure of 200 lb/sq.inch is referred to as a 200BH (burst strength box). Each box has a maximum weight capacity of 65 lbs.
The ECT-32 Box is a corrugated piece of cardboard that has passed the ECT with a 32 rating, making it suitable for shipping.
The B Flutes are like wave-shaped constructions sandwiched between two corrugated cardboard sheets. These flutes in a box/carton give support, complete protection, and cushioning/padding to the cardboard boxes used to construct the carton itself.
Cartons are classified according to the lengths and overall density of flutes used throughout the corrugated cardboard boxes, which can be divided into six categories: A-flute/B-flute/C-flute/D-flute/E-flute/F-flute.
Flutes in B flute boxes are shorter, and the wall and side thicknesses are 1/8″ thick. They are handy for supporting heavier objects. B flutes are also helpful for printing since they give a flat and sturdy surface.
Size of Amazon FBA Box:
- The longest side of a regular box packaged for FBA shipping with everyday items must not exceed 25 inches.
- The median side is less than 14 inches.
- The shortest side is less than 8 inches.
[Extra note: If the product has a large side that exceeds its dimensions, you can use an extra-large box to accommodate it. Because the box is now too big, it will be classified as an oversize box.]
Weight of Amazon FBA Box:
- The standard weight restriction for FBA boxes or cartons is 50 lbs.
- Boxes that contain watches and jewelry items shouldn’t weigh more than 40 lbs.
- If the product weighs more than 50 lbs, you must add the “Team Lift Sticker” on every side of the box.
- Should use “Mechanical Lift Marking” on every side of the box for items weighing more than 100 lbs.
Certain things that don’t fit into a fixed structural pattern can be packaged in poly bags. That may be a pair of sneakers, a bag, or a slew of wires. Amazon polybags must meet the following specifications if you plan to use them for Amazon FBA shipments.
- The polybag must be clear and contain X00-label manufacturers or Amazon barcodes that can quickly scan into the bag.
- The thickness should be at least 1.5 mm for each side of the bag.
- Suffocation warnings should be printed or labeled onto polybags having openings larger than 5 inches in a prominent place and big letter size.
- There must be a perfect closure on the polybag, and it must not stretch beyond the designated product’s size.
Bubble Wrapping Bag
Another type of packaging commonly utilized for Amazon FBA shipments is a soft bubble wrapping bag, and it’s not a self-contained packaging material, such as boxes/cartoons or polybags. A bubble-wrapped commodity must be packed in a polybag or a box at all times.
Amazon doesn’t always offer bubble wrapping bags for use in shipment. Only some specific goods/items/products/materials/things are recommended for bubble wrap packing, according to Amazon. E.g.
- Goods that are delicate and easily destroyed during the filling process.
- Things that are extremely heavy and have the potential to damage other products while being transported
The following should be taken into consideration when utilizing bubble wrap for product packaging:
- Enclose the package tightly in bubble wrap and secure it with tape.
- Along the outside of the wrapping bag, provide a machine-readable barcode.
- Perform a 3-foot drop test on the bubble-wrapped product.
[Extra note: The drop test can consist of the following drops: one on the bottom, one on the top, one on the longest side, one on the shortest side, and one on a corner. The quality of your bubble wrap will be determined by whether or not the goods and their contents are damaged during such five drops.]
Amazon Packaging Requirements (FBA) by Product Type
Over 12 million products are available on Amazon in every category and service. Amazon’s FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon) platform has created these product categories depending on its packaging and shipping needs. We’ll go over each of them one after another in this section.
“Sold As Set” Products
Every product that contains a mixture of similar units must be wrapped as a “Sold as Set.” For example, a set of storybooks, a set of kid toys, other similar items, etc. While preparing your products for FBA, you must keep these things in mind.
- Shrink-wrapping or packaging the set inside a polybag will ensure that it is protected during shipping.
- Attach a label that says something like “Do Not Separate,” “Ready to Ship,” or something along those lines.
- Provide the entire product set with a new number.
- Ensure that units of the required set do not have barcodes on them so that the fulfillment center does not scan them.
[Extra Note: Another thing to keep in mind: The Fulfillment Center only checks or scans the package as a whole set.]
“Case-packed” items/products are ones in which a box contains numerous similar things with the same SKU and the same amount of items/products in each box, according to Amazon. For example, a box containing 12 red-colored stuffed teddies will be classified as a single case-packed product.
Furthermore, because all of the items in the box are identical, the fulfillment center scans one of them and moves the box to inventory. While packaging case-packed commodities for the fulfillment facility, you must adhere to these guidelines.
- It’s not possible to load over a single case-packed box into a larger container(box). Differentiate the items at the case-pack level when your supplier supplies them in a single massive package.
- Each box contains the same quantity of units with the same SKU.
- There can’t be more than 150 units in a package.
Typically, you should follow the general preparation and shipping criteria for clothing. Suppose: you can package them inside polybags and then box them into cartons. On the other hand, Amazon does not permit FBA shipping of clothes that includes hangers, except for the following clothing categories.
- Jackets, suits, and blazers are all examples of formal attire.
- Tiny hangers are used to hang baby garments.
- Outfits costing more than $299.00
Every item supplied by Amazon should be packed and provided in a box, provided that it meets the specifications listed above.
- It’s either a cube with six sides or a rectangular box with six sides.
- If the box has an opening lid, it should be fastened with glue or tape so that it cannot be effortlessly opened by accident.
- The box should be able to sustain moderate pressure.
- Two inches of cushioning is used among each item packaged within the box. Additionally, you can utilize inflated air pillows and polyethylene foam sheets to accomplish this goal.
- It’s recommended that the box be subjected to a drop test if it contains perforations or apertures on the sides.
Loose products contain detachable or removable parts and aren’t wrapped securely. Such things, however, must comply with packaging and shipment criteria in passing through a supplementary center.
- It’s best to keep it in a bag or in a loose sleeve.
- Removable tape or a non-sticky band must be used to tie them around each other if they aren’t in a bag.
[Extra Note: Shoes are made of different materials, you can’t put them in a bag like this. These types of items or products you want to sell must be packed to prevent their ingredients from being revealed.]
Products with Expiration Dates
If your FBA business includes goods (food or beverages) with expiration dates, you must meet specific Amazon packing and shipping criteria;
- The expiration or date label upon that outer box carrying the goods should be at least 36 points in size.
- The expiration date label must be attached to each item in the outer box.
- MM-DD-YYYY formatting; otherwise, the MM-YYYY pattern should always be used for the expiration date label on the packaging.
- If the stuff arrives in additional packaging (bubble-wrap/poly-bagging), include the expiration date on those as well.
Amazon FBA Labeling Requirements
FBA labeling is an essential requirement for every seller who wants to start a business with Amazon FBA. If you’re a newbie to the Amazon platform, you should remember that the labeling for Amazon FBA should match the following requirements before delivering for shipment:
- The identical product title must appear on all product labels.
- Don’t exceed 50 characters in length.
- Each word’s first letter should be capitalized, although not all capital letters should be used.
- It’s not permitted to use symbols or special characters.
- This is forbidden to use promotional titles.
Amazon FBA Shipping Requirements
If you’ve not met the Amazon FBA shipping requirements, all of your labeling and packaging efforts will be in vain. Supplies may be destroyed or returned if you don’t comply, also you can face the suspension of future orders as well as the imposition of a non-compliance charge.
Comply with the following standards when working with an Amazon-partnered carrier to ensure a seamless shipment to such a fulfillment center:
- Before shipment, make sure that the boxes are accurately weighed and measured.
- A box’s total weight must not exceed 30 kg unless this contains a single oversized item that exceeds the weight restriction.
- If a specific product weight reaches between 15 to 30 kg, your box should be labeled as a Heavy Package.
- Packaging containing valuable items such as jewels or timepieces also shouldn’t exceed 18.1 kg in weight.
Where to Buy Amazon Packaging Supplies
Due to the specificity of Amazon packaging criteria, sellers should ensure that they purchase packaging supplies compliant with Amazon’s Fulfillment of Amazon regulations.
Selling on Amazon for both Amazon FBA and Amazon FBM is now easier than ever because sellers now can purchase Amazon-preferred boxes, polybags, bubble packs, stretch wrap, and other supplies directly from the Amazon store.
Sellers can also continue receiving supplies through FedEx, UPS, and the United States Postal Service(USPS) to ship the product to Amazon fulfillment centers. However, they will be required to ship the products to Amazon fulfillment centers at the exact rates provided by those suppliers.
- Which things aren’t allowed in FBA packaging?
There are some product restrictions at the Amazon store. That means not all products you can choose and attempt to go for selling. You have to know the FBA products restriction before packaging for shipment.
- Packing peanuts of any kind
- Chips made of thermocol
- Crinkle wrap made of shredded paper
- Strips of foam
- Does Amazon supply packing material?
You can get packing supplies (Amazon polybags, stretch wrap, soft bubble packs, crates, or other materials) from Amazon for delivering items. Several US sellers could be eligible for complimentary supplies from shipping companies such as FedEx, UPS, and the US Postal Service if they use their delivery services.
- Does Amazon FBA offer custom packaging?
Amazon does not offer customized packaging. Before shipping your commodities to the fulfillment center, you should personalize the packaging in which they will be shipped.
- Is it necessary for FBA shipments to be in a Box?
As previously stated, using boxes or cartons for all FBA shipments isn’t really required. Packing your separately packed products/items in a box is only advised, and it will provide the necessary security in transportation while also allowing for simple processing at fulfillment sites.
- What Label Sizes Do I Require for Amazon FBA?
- You’ll need labels that are 1×2″ to 2×3″ in size.
- Also, the label should be printed in black-n-white on non-reflective paper.
- Why should you avoid excessively large boxes?
Suppose you ship enormous products in overly large boxes and cartons. In that case, you may encounter rejection at a fulfillment center for such packages and the possibility of having your future shipments stopped.
We hope that you have gained a better understanding of Amazon’s operating standards due to the Amazon FBA Shipping Requirements provided above. Keep in mind that, 73% sellers use Amazon FBA.
So, if you want to be one of them and adhere to these standards, Amazon will recognize you as a deserving seller by enhancing your visibility on their online store in every way.
If you break them, it may result in restricting access to marketing or selling privileges on Amazon Marketplace and the possibility of being kicked off the platform entirely.